Punta Gorda Isles (PGI) was developed as a deed-restricted, waterfront & golf community. All homes, with the exception of a few located on St. Andrews Golf Course, are on wide canals with access to Charlotte Harbor and the Gulf of Mexico.

The City of Punta Gorda maintains the seawalls and canals, which is a huge benefit to the local homeowners.

Punta Gorda Isles first development started in 1957 and different areas were opened over the years. The last area to open did so in 1981. There was never a mandatory build time so there are still vacant lots scattered throughout the old and new area.